Pages

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Sunshine and sewing

There have been moments over the past 3 weeks where I thought it might never stop raining, thankfully this weekend we finally saw the sunshine in London. It's been a peaceful, music-filled weekend at home having spent the last few weeks travelling up and down to Sussex organising the collection of our new car.


After countless hours searching for my perfect bathrobe (yes I am that fussy), I decided I'd put my GSCE textiles skills to the test and attempted to make my own. Using some paisley printed organic cotton I dissected my old robe to create a new pattern. While the finished result isn't a complete disaster, it wasn't the best. The issue was the fitting around the neck, which on hindsight was something which could have been easily rectified - the old robe had a hood, the new one didn't. Oh well. To help with future projects I have decided to invest in a dress-makers dummy.


As always, I'm on a budget but after a bit of searching I found I Love Vintage Mannequins who have created dress making forms for a range of clients including Madame Tussauds and the Victoria and Albert Museum. They are currently selling on Ebay with auctions starting from a £1 (they're normally £79). I've got my eye on the Bohemian Rose and Shabby Rose busts, I'm just trying to decide between the cast iron or wooden base. And also where the heck I would put it in our bijou home. 


Happy weekend!
xo

Listening to: HelloGiggles Mix Tape on Spotify
Watched: The Bridge on BBC4
Ate: Kohlrabi remoulade, fresh organic beetroot, parmesan chicken and R's home-made bread

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis